Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Blizzard

In my neck of the woods, the first threat of real snowfall usually comes in November. We might see a few flakes in October, but only in an exceptional year does Halloween snow amount to much. By the Thanksgiving holiday, however, any day might bring eight, ten, twelve inches or more. Such is the case throughout the season until March. By opening day the snows have passed and the earth and water gradually warm. Snow and ice give way to the first of the year's major hatches.

For many anglers, the Hendrickson hatch marks the true start of spring. I've seen the Hendricksons start popping as early as the second week of April.

That won't be the case this year. Why?

It's freakin' snowing!

I don't mean to imply that there are a few flakes falling here and there. No. This is the kind of snow we might see in November or December; the kind that slows traffic to a crawl. The kids will want to go outside to play. My wife won't let them because it's too cold. I may have to check the oil in my snowblower, and find the bag of salt I've stowed in the garage, the garage which I've already given a spring cleaning.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I think the weather gods and river nymphs (mythological not entomological) may be conspiring against me. I've had a single day on the water, just one, and already the season is over.

Ooops. False alarm. Snow's done.

Maybe I was a little hasty.

You've got to love April.

No comments: