Monday, October 11, 2010

Season's Close

Well ... the general fishing season is about to come to a close here in New York. Aside from special regulation watersheds such as the Salmon River or the trophy section of the Battenkill, the rivers and lakes I frequent are about to begin six months of hibernation.

With that in mind, Shawn and I thought to hit the river just one more time before the government shuts us down for the year. We hoped to find a few autumn bruisers, but this was not to be. Instead, our efforts were rewarded by eight or ten smallish rainbows. They were fun to catch, but they weren't the grand send-off for which we were hoping.

Regardless, it was a good day to be on the water. The sky was blue, the sun was shining, and neither air nor water were uncomfortable.

All things considered, I guess the day was just about right.

I secretly chuckled at the blaze orange underwear until some duck hunters fired their twelve-gauge shotguns over our heads. The pellets sliced through nearby trees. I then realized that Shawn is at least as smart as I am dumb.






Remember that movie Tommy Boy? "Richard look ... Fat guy in a little boat ... Fat guy in a little boat." I really shouldn't give my man too much grief. I weigh 30 pounds more than Shawn, and my Waterskeeter cries for its mother whenever I come near.

As some of you know, Shawn is one of the fly fishing product developers for the Orvis company. The boat pictured here is likely going to be a new addition to their product line. It is simply incredible. Frameless ... lighter than my boat ... ridiculously maneuverable.

I've really no idea just what a GigBob is ... but I want one. Do you hear me Santa Claus?

I'm yet to meet a dead merganser that I do not like. This one was likely the victim of a local bald eagle, as the carcass was perched atop a stump in the middle of the river, could not have been reached by any land-based predator, and was picked clean of every bit of flesh. Raptors 1 - Fish Gobbling River Chickens 0.

2 comments:

Pat Cohen said...

looks like a nice outing anyway...that is one slick looking boat for sure...

BKill said...

Pat,

We have got to hit the water together sometime. I know I've mentioned it before, but maybe next season our schedules will better mesh. Let's make it happen man ... I'll bring the beer.