Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What Do You Get When You Mix Vinegar and Warm Water?

"I know it's last minute, but I'm going over to the _________________ in _________________ to see if there are any carp around if you're interested."

I received that text message at 11:31 in the morning, and by noon I was helping Robin to spot tailing fish as they rooted in the mud.


The fish were there, but they were skittish - even more so than usual. We managed only one smallish carp to hand, and that one fish was either very dumb or desperately hungry.

Photo: Robin Hill
Before long we had visitors, which isn't entirely unexpected when fishing so close to town. Normally, I try to be cordial when I meet someone riverside. Yes ... there's always that part of me that wishes I had the water to myself, but I've learned my world is a happier place if I lock that feeling away in the darker recesses of my brain. Call me Buddha. Anyway ...

There was something about this fella' I couldn't quite put my finger on, and then all at once it hit me. He was bowfishing ... and he decided he needed to kill the same fish we were targeting. 

Notice the acute angles forming what is commonly known as a Douchebaggerian Triangle

I have to say it was a first for me. I've been low-holed dozens of times on any number of rivers, but I have never been low-holed by a bowfisherman. I couldn't help but stare in wild-eyed wonder.

Douche.

No comments: