Friday, May 22, 2009

In Memoriam


This Memorial Day weekend I find myself thinking of the men with whom I served: Fitzpatrick, Kowalski, Magana, Sgt. Johnson, Capt. Moyer and so many others. I wonder where they are. More to the point, I wonder how they are. I'm sure that even as I write, several of them are walking the streets of Baghdad or climbing the mountains outside Kandahar. By now they've made rank, and are leading those missions. I'm sure they're making us all proud, and comporting themselves as do all professional American soldiers.

Regardless of your political stance or your opinion on either of America's wars, I ask that you please consider donating your time or money to Project Healing Waters, which is a group "dedicated to the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled active duty military personnel and veterans through fly fishing and fly tying education and outings." Click
here for PHW's homepage, here for a list of associated businesses and donors, or here to make a donation. Donating couldn't be easier, and the cause couldn't be better.

The men and women PHW serves have given us all so very much. Let's give a little back. If my readers can collectively donate $400.00 or more this weekend, I will give myself a thorough dunking in the river (waders on ... vest and rod stay on the bank), and post the photo here. I'll take you at your honor, just drop a note detailing the amount of your donation in the comment section of this post or drop me an email (see my profile).

"No Mission Too Difficult, No Sacrifice Too Great—Duty First
- First Infantry Division

1 comment:

R.K. said...

A great and worthy cause. And, thank YOU for your service.